Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hidden Secret

I hate meeting new people.
It's an honest fear of mine.
Being in a crowd of people and not knowing a single one of them, 
and yet knowing that I'm going to have to eventually get to know each of them.  
If only I could avoid all of them as though I was shopping at the store and they were just pass-me-by's
...but they aren't
...and I cant. 
 I dont know if anyone else ever feels this way.
when moving into a new home, starting a new job, getting new roommates, or in my case - the first day of school.

Yesterday was that day.. the first day of back-to-school.  
...So much anxiety those first few minutes before walking into that new classroom, 
secretly glancing at everyone around me and quickly realizing that: because it's a part-time program, most of the other students are older, some just by a decade, others with children my age, and all of whom are well into their careers. So, right from the start, the anxiety starts to thicken as I feel a little awkward and out of place...being one of two who stays home for a living. ;) 

So now I'm sitting here asking myself -
" Becky, what were you thinking..? Just pick up your bag, and don't look back." LOL

Just as I began to second guess myself, this teddy-bear of a man next to me turned and said 
"Hi, I'm Eric...I know it's really early and this is going to be a long day so I brought snacks..and lots of them.  Here...have a bagel, you look hungry. And just in case you were wondering, if you hear a sqeaking noise, I promise I'm not fart...it's the chair." 
LOL 
okay, so writing it out and reading it makes my story a little lame, 
but if only you were there...I couln't help but laugh at such an introduction.

And that was the beginning of many great intro's 
My cohort is SO wonderful,
Each one of them so warmhearted and eager to know and learn fromeach other.

 And the professors, I honestly dont know where to begin. 
I have two professors, both of which bring a smile to my face just thinking about them.  
So full of warm energy and bright faces, ready and truly eager to help us...
not just to pass the courses, but to really understand and become part of the field.

The head of the department reminds me SO much of my grandma -
full of happiness and excitement and so stinkin adorable!!
I hope you havent read this far...and if you have, I'm sorry I really have no point to this blog other than me babbling on about my "little girl" excitements!!

In the end and I guess my whole purpose of this is to say:
I am so proud to be a part of this program.
  I find myself secretly counting down the days until next Monday, 
where I will spend almost 13 hours with school and truly enjoy every moment of it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I'm SO happy for you! I'm glad everything is going well! Good luck with the classes!

Diana said...

Oh my! That was a funny introduction. And, by the way, I would have never guessed that you were the type of person who was scared in a crowd. But, maybe it's that fear that drives you to be so friendly and getting to know people people so quickly. (You know everyone has to like you. It's hard not to).

Thanks for blogging! It's nice to keep up with your life.

The Asay's said...

Becky,
I am so glad your first day went well. I am so with you on meeting new people. I hate it too. I really enjoyed staying with your girls while you were at school. They are great! Such cuties.

Erin said...

Yay Becky! Good for you! The first day is always the hardest, but after that its smooth sailing! You are so friendly, I don't see how everyone wouldn't want to get to know you!

Morgan said...

Oh course people feel the way you do! I don't think anyone would ever think that of me, either. We are both beautiful, confident women.
And...ERIC CRACKS ME UP! HAHAHA! It's my chair, not a fart! haha!
Relax. Enjoy yourself. Know you are worth meeting!
Loves

Kate Clayton said...

Congrats on starting a new program. I don't blame you for being nervous. You are such a likable person, it won't take long for everyone to love you!

Kathryn said...

Becky I loved this post!! I am so glad that everything about school has been inviting so far and I hope you LOVE it every week! You are awesome! We are excited to see you too!!